Workshops - Simple Silhouettes
Length - One Day
Level - Beginning to intermediate
Sewing machine needed
*This is a great class for quilt stores which carry an abundance of Sassaman fabric and the Simple Silhouette patterns
I have created a series of silhouette designs to be used in combination with my FreeSpirit fabrics. This is a good class for beginning machine appliquérs or quilters who want to make an easy, but dramatic small wall quilt for their home or as a gift. Each student will pick a central motif (flower, butterfly, etc.), a favorite Sassaman fabric and a coordinating background to make an 18” quilt using Jane’s unique “bandage” appliqué technique. Once you grasp the system, you will feel comfortable to make more when you get home.
If the class is not held in a store, I will provide fabrics ($20 kit) and patterns ($12) for purchase.
PARTICIPANTS SUPPLY LIST
• Sewing machine with satin stitch
• Basic sewing supplies
• Open-toed embroidery foot (optional, but extremely useful, #20 Bernina)
• Craft knife with #11 blade
• Ruler, rotary cutter, 18” mat or larger
• Micron pen or other very fine permanent marker
• Masking tape
• Fusible interfacing, 2 yds
• Fusible web like Wonder Under with one protective sheet attached, 1 yd (NOT EZ-Steam!!!)
• Threads in a rainbow of colors (30-50 weight, to match silhouette fabric)
• Curved basting safety pins
• Batting: cotton or cotton/poly, 24” square
• Fabric: 2/3 yd Sassaman print for frame
1/2 yd solid for silhouette
1/2 yd subtle print or solid for background
• Digital camera-optional, but very useful
-Click Simple Silhouettes.pdf for printable supply list-
THE GUILD SHOULD SUPPLY:
Large projection screen
Sturdy table for projector and laptop
2-3 quilt hangers or other safe way to display quilts
2 tables for teachers use
3-5 irons and large ironing stations
Electrical cords and extensions, multiple-outlet strip, adaptors, lighting (if necessary).
Each student table must be at least 24” wide.