Workshops - Leaf Sampler - Personalities of a Leaf
Length - One day
Level - Beginning to intermediate
Machine embroidery adds personality to your quilts and needlework. The stitches you choose affect the emotion and atmosphere of your work. In this workshop we will make a simple sampler using a repeated leaf appliqué, but by changing the finishing embroidery stitches each leaf takes on different personalities and attitudes.
This is your chance to get familiar with the stitches contained in your sewing machine or to sample some stitches you have never tried before. What ever machine you have, we will try to find the stitches which speak your language and will make your needle projects more expressive.
PARTICIPANTS SUPPLY LIST -
• Sewing machine in good working order and with at least a few decorative stitches
• Basic knowledge of your machine... threading, tension, bobbin winding, etc.
• Sewing basics: scissors, pins, etc.
• Rotary cutter, mat, and ruler
• Open-toed embroidery foot - optional but extremely helpful, #20 Bernina
• Fusible interfacing: white, medium weight, 1 yd. (ShirTailor by Pellon)
• Wonder Under or some kind of iron-on adhesive, 1 yd.
• Mechanical pencils or fine permanent marker, white disappearing fabric marker.
• Craft knife with #11 blade (optional)
• Fabrics: 1/4 yd leaf fabric (any colors), 19” X 24” black background fabric
1. Threads: Rainbow assortments of basic (50-28 wt.) and a few fancy (eyelash, yarn, etc.)
2. Digital camera-optional, but very useful
3. Fat quarter of brown stem fabric
-Click Leaf Sampler.pdf for printable supply list-
THE GUILD SHOULD SUPPLY:
Large projection screen
Sturdy table for projector and laptop
2-3 quilt hangers or other safe way to display quilts
2 tables for teachers use
3-5 irons and ironing stations
Electrical cords and extensions, multiple-outlet strip, adaptors, lighting (if necessary)
Plenty of workspace for each student.