Workshops - Machine Applique
Length - 1 to 5 days
Level - Beginning to intermediate
Sewing machine needed (at least a few of decorative stitches)
This workshop will focus on rich surface design as students learn techniques of precision machine appliqué. Students will be exposed to organic shapes in other mediums (Art Nouveau, etc.) and will be challenged to apply these shapes to their textile compositions. Each student will experiment with several appliqué and decorative embroidery options.
PARTICIPANTS SUPPLY LIST -
• Photographs of interesting objects for design inspiration. (see Visual Bibliography Resource).
• Drawing materials: Paper, pencils, tracing paper, etc.
• Compass- for one day class
• Sewing basics: scissors, pins, etc.
• Sewing machine in good working order
• Open-toed embroidery foot - optional, #20 Bernina
• Stick glue: archival, washable UHU is fine
• Masking tape, craft knife with #11 blade (optional)
• Fusible interfacing: white, non woven, 4-6 yds. ( Shir Tailor by Pellon is best)
• Wonder Under or some kind of iron-on adhesive, one yard
• Rotary cutter, mat and ruler
• Fabrics: a good range of fabrics - solids, prints
• Threads: Basic and fancy
• Extension cord, multiple-outlet strip, adaptors (if necessary)
• Digital camera-optional, but very useful
• Flannel or some other method for pinning work to the wall-optional for 3-5 day classes
-Click Machine Applique.pdf for printable supply list-
THE GUILD SHOULD SUPPLY:
Large projection screen
Sturdy table for projector and laptop
2-3 quilt hangers or other safe way to display quilts
2 tables for teachers use
3-5 irons and ironing stations
Electrical cords and extensions, multiple-outlet strip, adaptors, lighting (if necessary)
Plenty of workspace for each student