Workshops - Pattern Play
Length - 1 day to 5 days
Level - Beginning to advanced
NO sewing machine needed for ONE day workshop
This workshop will explore many classic and nontraditional ways of applying pattern. We will examine historic ornament and decorative design throughout the course. We will do several design exercises on paper that will evolve onto a unique fiber project.
This course strives to stimulate new ways to add energy and excitement to your work with surface decoration. It will also supply you with a collection of unique designs to apply to your surface design or fiber art.
PARTICIPANTS SUPPLY LIST -
One to five day workshop:
• Photographs of interesting objects.
• Check Visual Bibliography Resource for books on decorative art (see Visual Bibliography Resource).
• Drawing materials - mechanical pencil, erasers, tracing paper
• Package of colored paper and package of black paper (not expensive)
• Colored pencils or markers
• Paper scissors or craft knife with #11 blades and cutting mat
• Glue stick (archival, washable UHU is fine) and clear tape
Two or more days add the following supplies:
• Sewing basics: scissors, pins, etc.
• Sewing machine in good working order
• Open-toed embroidery foot - optional, #20 Bernina
• Fusible interfacing: white, non woven, 4-6 yds. ( Shir Tailor by Pellon is best)
• Wonder Under or some kind of iron-on adhesive
• Rotary cutter, mat and ruler, masking tape
• Fabrics: a good range of fabrics - solids, prints from light to dark
• Threads: basic and fancy threads
• Flannel or some other method for pinning work to the wall - optional for 3-5 day classes
• Digital camera-optional, but very useful
-Click Pattern Play.pdf for printable supply list->>
THE GUILD SHOULD SUPPLY:
Large projection screen
Sturdy table for projector and laptop
2-3 quilt hangers or other safe way to display quilts
2 tables for teachers use
2-5 DAY CLASSES:
3-5 irons and ironing stations
Electrical cords and extensions, multiple-outlet strip, adaptors, lighting (if necessary).
Plenty of workspace for each student